Friday, May 25, 2012

How Does My Heirloom Garden Grow

As we approach the Memorial Day Weekend, the symbolic start of summer and the traditional  weekend to plant your summer garden plants such as tomatoes and peppers, I would like to share with you what is in my 2012 Heirloom Garden.



Heirloom Vegetable Garden
  Tips for growing heirloom vegetables by Esther Sung

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/seasonalcooking/farmtotable/heirloom-garden-vegetable#ixzz1vqXsHNcW


I have already harvested a bushel of spinach as well as a few onions and leeks that overwintered from last season.  Additionally my chives and sage are in full bloom, here is a photo of some of the flowers I picked:




I planted the following from seed in March and the plants are coming along nicely and I am looking forward to a bountiful harvest.
  • Thomas Laxton Peas (Heirloom)
  • Triumph De Farcy Garden Bean (Heirloom)
  • Touchon Carrots (Heirloom)
  • Short'n Sweet Carrots (Heirloom)
  • Waltham 29 Broccoli
  • Melody Hybrid Spinach
  • Detroit King Beets
  • Evergreen Long White Bunching Scallions
  • Golden Grande Onions

The following plants I purchased at the Southside Community Land Trusts 20th Annual Rare and Unusual Plant Sale, to learn more about this great organization, click here.

  • Mr. Stripey Tomato (Heirloom)
  • Beefsteak Tomato (Heirloom)
  • Golden Jubilee Tomato (Heirloom)
  • Brandywine Tomato (Heirloom)
  • Pruden's Purple Tomato (Heirloom)
  • Banana Legs Tomato (Heirloom)
  • Delicious Tomato (Heirloom)
  • Hot Banana Pepper
  • Chocolate Sweet Pepper (Heirloom)
  • Sweet Banana Pepper (Heirloom)
  • Golden California Wonder Pepper (Heirloom)
  • Poona Kheera Cucumber (Heirloom)
  • Sour Gherkin Cucumber
  • Suhyo Long Cucumber
  • Black Beauty Zucchini
 

Enjoy the summer and what bounty your garden my bring you.

Until I Blog Again: Eat well, Live Life and Be Safe

No comments:

Post a Comment