Friday, July 22, 2011

Holy Quarter of a Cow- My Experience Buying a 1/4 Cow

I just purchased a Quarter Cow from Locust Leaf Farm in Foster, RI.   

If you follow my blog, most likely you have already read my blog posting entitled "Locust Leaf Farm Tour" if not please do so and learn more about this wonderful farm operated by the Boyce family.
A quarter cow from Locust Leaf Farm is actually a half of a cow, divided in half again.  This way the buyer gets cuts from every section of the cow.  See Below:


You may asked yourself why would anyone buy a 1/4 of a cow.  The following are my top reasons, David Letterman Style....

  • #10- It passes the time
  • #9- Beef it's whats for dinner
  • #8- So I don't have to ask myself "Where's the Beef?"
  • #7- I did it on a dare
  • #6- Lady Gaga needed it for her next dress
  • #5- Endless Sauerbraten
  • #4- It is part of being a "Locavore"
  • #3- Cheaper than going to the Farmers Market every week
  • #2- To support a local small farmer who raises animals humanely with no growth hormones or antibiotics
  • #1- It is sure damn tasty- pasture raised, great marbling, and ohhhh so good!!
All kidding aside the reasons I bought the 1/4 cow was to have pasture raised, local beef, beef that is not fed corn, that is not confined to a feed lot and is not given growth hormones to make it grow fat quick.

Here is what I got: Tenderloin Steaks, Sirloin Steaks, Ribeye Steaks, Porterhouse Steaks, Stew Meat, Beef Liver, Beef Bones, Beef Shanks, Beef Brisket, Chuck Roast. Short Ribs, T Bone Steak, Sirloin Tips, Top Round, Bottom Round, Ground Beef











How much does a quarter cow get you? I received roughly 150 pounds of product

How much did it cost? $4.10 per pound = $625 , well worth the cost if you asked me.

I also picked up 6 whole chickens that were slaughtered last week.  Yum
Until I blog again:  Eat Well, Live Life and Be Safe

No comments:

Post a Comment